UB Career Experience Program: Associate Engineer (internship)
Pay $13.00 per hour
1.29.2018 - 5.11.2018
Deadline 11.14.2017 at 3:00 pm
- Full time UB student, graduate or undergraduate, in good academic standing
- Two semesters of college level general chemistry required. PREFERED: additionally, two semesters of college level organic chemistry and college level core engineering courses.
- Familiarity with wet laboratory synthetic techniques and safe laboratory practices. Laboratory safety training certification from the University at Buffalo - Environmental Health and Safety organization required.
- CREATIVITY - Ability to think outside the box, learn from all experiments (failures and successes), observations of nature, and leverage technologies from other industries to achieve the unexpected and what was thought of as “impossible.”
- Strong sense of time management and prioritization.
- Able to balance competing priorities and resilient to changing priorities.
- Willing to be part of a working environment with an aggressive pace and sense of urgency.
- Work as part of a team and be able to hand off work to a co-worker at the end of the shift
- Experience with Microsoft office suite of software, with effective written and oral communication skills. Specific experience with Microsoft Excel, MATLAB, Origin, Igor, and other data processing software a plus.
What will the student gain from this experience?
- Wet laboratory synthetic techniques including, but not limited to, batch reaction processing, pilot scale chemical synthesis and handling, chemical formulation engineering, and safe handling practices.
- Characterization methods including X-ray diffraction, Ultra Violet-Visible-Near Infrared spectroscopy, and Differential Scanning Calorimetry.
- Polymer processing methods including: spin coating, spray coating, drop casting, and doctor blade techniques. The applicant will become familiar with concepts related to roll-to-roll processing.
- Network with partner companies.
- Project management skills, data analysis, and processing skills.
- Experience with a fast paced start-up with direct CEO/CTO interaction daily.